Symptoms of Strep include:
· Complaints of a sore throat and upon observation the throat is red and swollen.
· A grayish-white substance maybe noted at the back of the throat.
· The tonsils maybe enlarged and the glands maybe swollen and tender.
· The symptoms may come on abruptly with fever, chills, headache, and a sore throat with pain upon swallowing.
Action to Take:
· If you suspect your child may have strep go to the doctor to get an evaluation and strep test.
· Children diagnosed with strep throat are excluded from school.
o Diagnosis is made on the basis of clinical symptoms, elevated white blood count and a throat culture.
· They may return to school after taking antibiotics for 24 hours and are fever free.
· The child should take all the prescribed antibiotics until the container is empty even if the child feels better.
· Call your doctor if you child experiences side effects from the medication, such as hives, or does not improve after 48 hours.Please report a diagnosed case of Strep to me.